Unit 5 Discussion: Professional Practice
Please read the following case: Whistle blowing in healthcare: An organizational failure in ethics and leadership by P. Rolland (2009) from the The Internet Journal of Law and Ethics: http://www.ispub.com/journal/the-internet-journal-of-law-healthcare-and-ethics/volume-6-number-1/whistle-blowing-in-healthcare-an-organizational-failure-in-ethics-and-leadership.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
After reading the case study consider and respond to the following questions:
- Were Phillip’s actions and reactions appropriate or were they an attempt on his part to avoid professional practice in his field?
- If Phillip reported the incidences of “alleged” improprieties and was told to move on with the plan, is he now relieved of any liability that ensues due to his actions?
- Should Phillip take his concerns to a level higher than his administration (CEO) if he feels there are still violations taking place? If so, who should he go to?
- Is Phillip being disloyal to his company or acting on behalf of the professional community?
- What is whistle blowing and can Phillip be considered a whistle blower? Please explain.
Provide justification for each of your explanations.