Create an essay of 500 words, describing the development of industry, business, and labor after the American Civil War. Address the following:
- Discuss several of the industries of America’s Industrial Revolution in the post-Civil War period.
- What made these leaders of industry successful?
- Explain the origins and growth of labor unions.
- What did Labor Unions accomplish?
Use a minimum of three of the sources provided to support your assignment and be sure to cite the sources.
Class RESOURCE for Topic 4
For the Topic 4 assignment, you will be discussing the development of America’s national economy; the transition of America’s economy from a regional to a national economy, the role of Henry Clay’s American system, and post-Civil War westward expansion and the significance of the railroad. These resources will help you discuss the influences and details of the development of the American economy:
- Definition of Laissez-Faire (2016). In Business Dictionary (online).
- Cotkin, G. (n.d.). Strikebreakers, Evictions and Violence: Industrial Conflict in the Hocking Valley, 1884-1885. Ohio History Journal Online.
- Captains of Industry: Harty, J. (2016). Cornelius Vanderbilt. Salem Press Biographical Encyclopedia.
- Harty, J. (2016). Cornelius Vanderbilt. Salem Press Biographical Encyclopedia.
- Graybar, L. J. (2016). Andrew Carnegie. Salem Press Biographical Encyclopedia.
- Trolander, J. A. (2016). John D. Rockefeller. Salem Press Biographical Encyclopedia.
- The Grandest Enterprise under God: The West, a Film by Stephen Ives [Video file]. (1996).
Knights of Labor Constitution of 1878
Read “Knights of Labor Constitution of 1878,” from Knights of Labor Constitution of 1878 (2009).
AFL-CIO Labor History Timeline
Explore the AFL-CIO Labor History Timeline on the AFL-CIO website.
Classic Senate Speeches: Henry Clay: In Defense of the American System
Read “Classic Senate Speeches: Henry Clay: In Defense of the American System” on the U.S. Senate website.