Home Safety Assessment
- Are medications safely stored and adequately labeled?______
- Are throw rugs, area rugs, and flooring materials secured?______
- Is there adequate lighting in each room?______
- Are there telephone cords or electrical cords in walkways?______
- Do the entry doors locks with deadbolts?______
- Are combustibles, such as newspapers, stored ______
- Is there adequate space around space heaters?______
- Are there exposed heating pipes?______
- Is the room/house heated cooled adequately and safely?______
- Is water heater set at 120F or lower?
- Is there a portable fire extinguisher available in the kitchen?______
- Do occupants who are smokers demonstrate safe handling
- Does the gas at the stove, furnace , and space heater work properly?______
- Are walkways clear, sturdy and wide enough to walk safely (using assistive devices
- If burglar bars are present on doors and/or windows, will they bend for
- Is there a phone within easy reach?______
- Is there a working smoke detector near the kitchen and near each sleeping area?______
- Dos the bathtub have a non-skid surface?______
- If oxygen is in use in the hours, are all occupants aware of oxygen and cord safety?______
- Are all occupants able to safely exit the home in five minutes or less?______
- Are guns or weapons safely stored?______
- Are there secure handrails on stairs?______
- If a ramp is needed, is one present and safely constructed?______
at least three feet from stove, fireplace or heater?
of cigarettes, lighters and matches?______
Emergency exit or is the key close by?______
- Is there indoor running water?______
- Is food stored properly?______
- Are there indoor toilet facilities?______
- Do the stove and/or microwave operate properly?______
- Is trash picked up on a regular scheduled basis?______
- Is the water in the kitchen, bathroom and utility are working properly
- Are there signs of rodent or pest infestation?______
- Is there adequate refrigeration?______
Modifications recommended after your assessment_____________________________________________________________
What surprised you when doing your home safety assessment?
Why are home safety assessments important for a public health nurse to know and do?
What kind of teaching/topics can you see would be important for a public health nurse to do as a result of a home safety assessment?