Capstone Discussion and Journal
HN115: Human Services Programs and Profession Title: Introduction to Human Services: Through the Eyes of Practice Settings, 3rd Edition Author: Michelle E. Martin Publisher: Pearson
HN144: Human Behavior and the Environment Title: Understanding Human Behavior and the Social Environment, 9th Edition Author: Charles H. Zastrow and Karen K. Kirst-Ashman Publisher: Cenage Learning
Discussions are fundamental to shared learning, so please be sure to participate early and often!
After you have completed the Reading, and without reviewing your classmate’s responses, post your initial response to the following Discussion. Your post should be at least 300–350 words in length and should extend the discussion of the group supported by your course materials and/or other appropriate resources.
After you have submitted your initial post, take time to review your classmates’ responses and to respond specifically and substantially to at least two of them. Refer to the Discussion Rubric in your Syllabus for specific grading explanation.
Discussion topic: Case Scenario
To prepare your responses, review the reasons that motivated your initial interest in human services careers. Think about why you chose the particular concentration that you did (child and family services, gerontology, or management). As you reflect, note how your motivations have helped you to complete your degree program thus far. This type of reflection will help you to understand the needs, obstacles, and motivations of your future clients or the staff you will supervise. Jot down some notes about how you faced and managed obstacles, handled failures, and celebrated successes, and then respond to the Discussion topics listed.
- Using notes from past classes and experiences from those Discussions, create a scenario for your primary post that demonstrates one of the theories that you studied from any of your previous human service courses. Focus your scenario using a hypothetical client who is representative of the population of your intended career. In your description, describe the type of agency that is providing the service.
- Read and respond to at least two of your classmates’ scenarios and provide strategies (from your past classes) to help the client to resolve whatever issues are indicated in the scenario. Best practice is to follow this process:
- Identify the client’s main issues
- Assess the client’s potential needs
- Using these facts, propose some intervention strategies
- What new information did you glean from the site?
- How will this information be helpful in planning your future human services career?
- How do you see it helping you once you are established within your career?
- National Organization for Human Services (information on board certification): http://www.nationalhumanservices.org/
- National Association of Social Workers: http://www.naswdc.org/
- American Counseling Association: http://www.counseling.org/
- American Psychological Association: http://www.apa.org/
- Association for Women in Psychology: http://www.awpsych.org/
- Association of Black Psychologists: http://www.abpsi.org
- The Gerontological Association of America: http://www.geron.org/
- American Public Human Services Association: http://www.aphsa.org/content/APHSA/en/home.html
- National Council on Family Relations: http://www.ncfr.org/