Research two (2) manufacturing or two (2) service companies that manage inventory and complete this assignment.
Write a six to eight (6-8) page paper in which you:
- Determine the types of inventories these companies currently manage and describe their essential inventory characteristics.
- Analyze how each of their goods and service design concepts are integrated.
- Evaluate the role their inventory plays in the company’s performance, operational efficiency, and customer satisfaction.
- Compare and contrast the four (4) different types of layouts found with each company; explain the importance of the layouts to the company’s manufacturing or service operations.
- Determine at least two (2) metrics to evaluate supply chain performance of the companies; suggest improvements to the design and operations of their supply chains based on those metrics.
- Suggest ways to improve the inventory management for each of the companies without affecting operations and the customer benefit package. Provide a rationale to support the suggestion.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources. The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Evaluate the processes used in designing and producing goods and services.
- Determine four layout patterns and when they should be used.
- Utilize the concept of supply chain management.
- Employ the concept of capacity management.
- Evaluate the management of inventories and resources.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in operations management.
- Write clearly and concisely about operations management using proper writing mechanics.